06 Aug Russia adopts decree prohibiting import of agricultural products, raw materials and food products
Today, president Vladimir Putin of Russia signed a decree ”on application of certain economic measures for the purpose of ensuring the security of the Russian Federation”.
The decree, which entered into force upon its signing, prohibits international commercial transactions related to import of agricultural products, raw materials and food into Russia from countries that have imposed or consented to economic sanctions against Russian individuals or legal entities.
The said decree authorizes the Russian government to establish a list of products which import into Russia is prohibited, as well as to create a list of measures that are necessary for ensuring the execution of the decree. The decree further authorizes the government to undertake measures for balancing the commodities market and for preventing a rapid rise in the price of agricultural and food product prices.
The Russian government is further required by the decree to secure, together with associations of producers, retail networks and organizations, the development and implementation of measures for increasing the supply of domestic goods.
The initial term of validity of the decree is one year. If needed, the Russian government may, according to the decree, propose to terminate or prolong the validity of the decree.
Edit 7.8.2014: The prohibited products include the following:
- Meat of bovine animals, fresh or chilled (H.S. Code 0201)
- Meat of bovine animals, frozen (H.S. Code 0202)
- Meat of swine, fresh, chilled or frozen (H.S. Code 0203)
- Meat and edible offal, of the poultry of heading 01.05, fresh, chilled or frozen (H.S. Code 0207)
- Meat salted, in brine, dried or smoked (H.S. Code 0210)
- Fish and Crustaceans, Molluscs and other Aquatic invertebrates (H.S. Code 0301, 0302, 0303, 0304, 0305, 0306, 0307, 0308)
- Milk and milk products (H.S. Code 0210)
- Vegetables, edible roots and tubers (H.S. Code 0701, 0702 00 000, 0703, 0704, 0705, 0706, 0707 00, 0708, 0709, 0710, 0711, 0712, 0713, 0714)
- Fruits, nuts (H.S. Code 0801, 0802, 0803, 0804, 0805, 0806, 0807, 0808, 0809, 0810, 0811, 0813)
- Sausages and similar products, of meat, meat offal or blood; food preparations based on these products (H.S. Code 1601 00)
- Finished products, including cheeses and cottage cheese based on vegetable fats (H.S. Code 1901 90 110 0, 1901 90 910 0)
- Food preparations (milk-contained products, based on vegetable fats) (H.S. code 2106 90 920 0, 2106 90 980 4, 2106 90 980 5, 2106 90 980 9)
Please do not hesitate to contact our firm in case it is unclear whether or not your company’s products are covered by the list of products which import to Russia is prohibited or should you have other questions concerning the matter.